Thursday, July 2, 2015

One of my favorite names of God: Jehovah Nissi, The LORD is my Banner

In the south, we love our football. I have attended A LOT of high school and college football games throughout my life, and I'm sure if you are reading this post, you have, too. As a kid, one of my favorite things about going to football games was that moment when both teams ran onto the field, ready for battle. The players would gather behind a big paper banner that usually had their team's colors or logo plastered all over it (or a message to the other team about how they were about to be destroyed), and then bust through the banner as the marching band played the school's fight song. I loved this part of the game atmosphere so much, that when I would be at home I would make my parents or grandparents hold up a newspaper so I could run through it, acting like I was coming on to the field. As an adult, I still love this part of the game. Whether it's the old-school paper banners, or huge school flags that the cheerleaders and mascot carry ahead of the team, I love the sense of pride that these symbols represent. It's almost like the school is collectively saying, "Hey opposing team, I know you probably remember who you are about to play, but just in case you forgot, here's a huge banner to help remind you of who we are, and that we will be the victor on this field tonight."

When I witness this at a game, it leads me to think about one of my favorite names of God in the Bible: Jehovah-nissi, which means "The LORD is my banner." It seems that we don't hear, or use, this name of God much. Maybe it's because it is only listed once in all of the Old and New Testament, in Exodus 17:15. Below is the context of the passage of scripture.

"While the people of Israel were still at Rephidim, the warriors of Amalek attacked them. Moses commanded Joshua, 'Choose some men to go out and fight the army of Amalek for us. Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill, holding the staff of God in my hand.' So Joshua did what Moses had commanded and fought the army of Amalek. Meanwhile, Moses, Aaron, and Hur climbed to the top of a nearby hill. As long as Moses held up the staff in his hand, the Israelites had the advantage. But whenever he dropped his hand, the Amalekites gained the advantage. Moses' arms soon became so tired he could no longer hold them up. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands. So his hands held steady until sunset. As a result, Joshua overwhelmed the army of Amalek in battle. After the victory, the LORD instructed Moses, 'Write this down on a scroll as a permanent reminder, and read it aloud to Joshua: I will erase the memory of Amalek from under heaven.' Moses built an altar there and named it Jehovah-nissi (which means 'the LORD is my banner'). He said, 'They have raised their fist against the LORD's throne, so now the LORD will be at war with Amalek generation after generation'" (Exodus 17:8-16, emphasis mine).

There were times when all God wanted the Israelites to do was stand back and watch Him deliver the victory to them. Obviously, their deliverance from slavery in Egypt comes to mind. This time, though, they were to engage in battle. Even though they were to fight, the battle and subsequent victory was still God's and God's alone. As we see in the passage, when the staff of God was raised in Moses' hand, Israel "had the advantage. But whenever he dropped his hand, the Amalekites gained the advantage." The staff of God was not a magical wand; it represented God's power and sovereignty. Therefore, in this battle with the Amalekites, whenever the staff was raised, God's power was on full display. With Aaron and Hur helping to ensure the staff would stay raised in Moses' hand, the Israelites were victorious through the power of God.

So, after the battle was won, why did Moses name the memorial he built "the LORD is my banner"? The Bible does not really give an explanation. But, this is just my thought. Moses obviously had a good view of the battle (i.e. "Tomorrow, I will stand at the top of the hill..."). In all of the chaos of war and mass of humanity that he was witnessing, how could he tell if Israel was winning or losing? My guess is by watching for their banner. Watch any movie depicting a war scene, and you will most assuredly see a banner or flag located at the front line of the army, representing that nation. Even in Old Testament times, banners were prevalent and a symbol of a nation. This was true of the twelve tribes of Israel, as Numbers 2:2 states "the Israelites are to camp around the Tent of Meeting some distance from it, each man under his standard with the banners of his family." If the takeaway of this victory for Moses was seeing the banner of Israel being advanced in battle by God's power, then it certainly makes sense as to why he would build an altar to God afterward and name it Jehovah-nissi, the LORD is my banner.

This name of God is not only true for Israel thousands of years ago, but it is also true for us who trust in Christ today. As you go through your day, know that Jehovah-nissi is raising His banner before you and above you. Maybe you don't feel like you are in a battle, and therefore have no need for a battle flag. May we be reminded that we are in a spiritual battle which we cannot see with our physical eyes, but is most certainly happening around us. "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, powers, world forces of this darkness, and spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12). It comforts me and gives me confidence to know that the banner of Almighty God goes before me as I go about my day-to-day routine. All of the "rulers, powers, world forces of darkness, and spiritual forces of wickedness" know to whom I belong, and that the victory is mine in Christ Jesus. For the Christian who feels defeated, remember that you are victorious in Jehovah-nissi. And, for the Christian who feels that they can fight and win their battles on their own, remember that Jehovah-nissi is the One who gives you the victory. I encourage us all to think on this truth as we go about our everyday life, and even as we are cheering on our favorite football team this coming fall. Let us give thanks to Jehovah-nissi, the LORD our banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment